Pages

Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Do do do do Feeling Groovy!

It is a new month and a new tangle!  The Diva adds to the challenge on the first Monday of the month to try out a tangle that one of our fellow Zentangle enthusiasts has come up with.  This month the tangle is Groovy by Eden Hunt.  Check out her blog and the pattern here.  Since this tangle was posted to Tangle Patterns, I have admired Groovy but not had a chance to try it out so I was excited to see it as the tangle to use.

I must confess that I did not practice groovy before I started my tile.  I just jumped right in with both feet and let the lines fall where they may.  I am pretty sure that I didn't make groovy quite right but I am looking forward to getting better at it.  I really like this pattern.  The look of it is really quite lovely and it looks far more complex than it really is.

I used on of my watercolored tiles for this challenge.  I am still toying with this idea so I thought I'd work on the challenge of the color along with the challenge of the tangle.  To start, I penciled in my lines of groovy.  Sometimes my wavy lines take on a mind of their own, so I wanted to be able to erase any wild curves.  I think that my being so careful kept my curves too small.  Groovy wants to be a bit bigger than I made it I think.  There needs to be more space.  I don't dislike my attempt, but I did learn what I need to do differently next time.  I also learned a neat thing.  If I lightly erase over the watercolor, some of the color rubs off giving the color added variation.


Again, I used the color as the string.  This was a little of a challenge in a few spots as the color fades out and I sometimes stopped the pen before I should.  Stiricles makes an appearance in this tile.  Last week wasn't enough I guess.  As I wanted the color to be visible, I didn't black out where I normally would but used lines instead.  I like how it came out.

Thanks to Eden for a great tangle.  I really look forward to using Groovy in the future.  Thanks Laura for all you do for this challenge!

14 comments:

  1. i like the way you 'use' the color. it's not just glopped on - it has a purpose. and you use your details to work with the color. it makes for a complete piece! very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your watercolor tiles look great! I like the close look of groovy in your tile, it has texture.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The color string really adds interest! I think your groove was in the groovy pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This one came out just beautiful, like how you played with the colored string! love 'n greetz, Ellen

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting idea to use the color as your string. Really nice tile!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is very unusual, never saw that kind of use of color in zentangles. It turned out great. Lovely result!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I, too like the color used as your string. I often get stuck for strings and this would be a great way 'out' of having to come up with one in pencil! I like the strircles with the lines as well. I tried it with sort of reverse aura's filling in the spaces, but I like the straight lines better. Your groovy is cute and tiny and very much its own texture in this tile rather than the shapes standing out on thier own. It is a usefull look. I bet it will get easier as you use it more. It is meant to be very flowy... The lines drop out and away from one side and glide smoothly into the opposite side of the shape. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ohhh! Great style! I love how the color changes and the lines on the tangles disappear - this is so interesting and fun to look at!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love hearing about your color experiments. Nice job with wavy lines, straight lines and semi-circle lines.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is really cool. I like the 'distressed' look of it. I'm going to have to try that!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love how you did the colors
    Great tile !

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very interesting way of doing the string - it's stunning! Love the color and your choice of tangles.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love antiqued effect on this!

    ReplyDelete